Saturday, June 21, 2008

Honey did list

I built a flower box for the wife. X helped me a little.

It is a plywood box with cedar legs and cedar siding. It was supposed to be cedar shingles on the sides, but the lumberyard I went to didn't have the shingles. This is before I put the top on.



And this is the completed box.



The hardest part was cutting the trim pieces for the top. I was supposed to put a beveled edge on it, but I wasn't going to try that with a circular saw. If I only had a table saw.... And I nearly went bonkers trying to get the 45 degree angles cut right. I knew that was going to be a pain so I skipped the beveling. Maybe I should get a miter box. I was supposed to join the top trim pieces together by routering out a hole and using glue and biscuits, but I don't have a router so it was good old hammer, nails and glue. I put a coat of stain on it and I'll put another on there tomorrow and call it done.

This cost probably 70 dollars in material (cedar is expensive!) and 7 hours of labor. I think it turned out pretty good for my first try and the wife looooves it, so it did turn out very well.

No comments: