Monday, June 16, 2008

riddle me this, Batman

It feels nice that we are finally getting this house broken in. I think I'm getting used to living here and it feels like everything fits. Little by little we add in our own touches and make it better than we found it.

So one of the new touches that is on my honey-do list is to install ceiling fans in Xander's room and the spare room. In town there is a used household goods store where anybody can donate their surplus home renovation supplies. It is also full of home goods that are from persons renovating their homes and putting to good use gently used items. Cabinets, paint, doors, windows, mirrors and craploads of chandeliers. Well I went there this past saturday looking for ceiling fans. I pick out a couple and head up to the register. The guy at the register finally is able to ring up my two fans. He looks at the first one and somehow comes up with the price of 10 dollars. He looks at the second fan and says 'wow, that's a really nice fan. How much do you want to pay for it?'

'10 dollars,' I reply.

He gives me a 'you cheap ass' look, but I keep my mouth shut. First, there is a huge sign that says "ALL SALES FINAL"; all this crap here is used, how do I know it works? I don't. Second, don't ask me how much I want to pay for something and then act surprised when I'm cheap on what I want to pay. Mark the price next time. I'm shopping here because I'm cheap and want to capitalize on rich folks supersizing perfectly good household goodies.

Anyway, I got out of there, with what I hope are two just like new ceiling fans for 20 bucks.

Oh, and we are never again going to our local Dairy Queen. I can't emphasize the seething irritation that I have for unsupervised teenagers. Lazy, snotty, snooty and obnoxious. Although it was comical the sound that a large vanilla cone makes when it falls from a height of 4 feet. bllluurchhh.

Not all of them now, there were 2 of the 8 that were carrying the load.

No comments: