Monday, June 9, 2008

to and fro across the pond again.

I made another trip to and fro across the pond for work again. That gave me time to read some. Here are the minutes from my book review club meeting...

The Sphere - Michael Crichton
I didn't think too much of it and was rather disappointed. I enjoyed the story, but I thought it was more of a psychological thriller and was expecting some sort adventure of jurassic-like proportions. The whole ending just didn't sit with me well. Oh, let's just pretend it never happened. I was hoping they would take the spaceship for a spin, but that never happened.

Hold Tight - Harlan Coben
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up at Heathrow (and got ripped by the exchange rate, but I knew that was going to happen) and read it for the entire flight to Philly. Being a bit hungover and short on sleep for the week (bad hotel room, lousy traffic next to the hotel) I was anticipating sleeping a bit on the plane, not with this book. It didn't grab me from the get-go, but it slowly built up and then brought back characters from The Innocent that I really enjoyed (Inspector Loren Muse - love that character!) and I just couldn't stop. I like the how Coben writes his characters thoughts and actions. To me, his characters get stuck in bad situations but follow their own intuition and gut instinct and get out. I don't know how to say it really, but I like the way he makes his characters think, how their thoughts evolve.

No comments: