Monday, June 29, 2009

looking for ideas

I've got a bunch of cds that I don't listen to anymore but I don't want to throw out. I'd like to rip them to my pc but it's only 160 GB hard drive and I'm afraid it won't be enough room.

I'm looking to either buy a 2nd computer with a huge internal or external hard drive to rip all the music or find some boombox or home stereo with a hard drive and a cd drive to rip all my cds.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I think I might be leaning towards getting a cheap refurbed computer at microcenter for around 100 bucks, a 500 GB hard drive for another 100 bucks and going with that....

3 comments:

Ikkin said...

Depends on what "a bunch" means...I've got 1800 songs on my very old iPod, and it's only using 7GB. I do like the idea of having an external drive purely for music. I'm turning my old laptop hard drive into just such a thing for the new Mac.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the 40GB or 80GB external hard drive that you got? I think that might be plenty of room for your collection.

I ripped all my cd's and then the ones that I really didn't care too much about I sold at Half Price books. Actually got a good price for a lot of them.

But with converting all my cd's to mp3 format and adding that to that to the whole bunch of mp3's on my computer that I had I am just under 45GB of music. That is just around 10,200 songs.

-Serge

Unknown said...

Use CD-ex (free program to rip) variable bit rate to get best sound versus size ratio. External drive works great. I have 2 extra external drives. Let me know if you want one and I can give you a great deal. My 1 TB external replaced both of them.