Saturday, April 5, 2008

There and back again

I had a little work trip to England. It went okay. Fortunately we finished most of what we were to do there, but unfortunately I'll have to go back over there in a month or so to wrap up the program.

There are so many things to tell you about this trip. I knew I'd have so much to blog about when I returned that I'd have trouble remembering so I kept a little journal to update this blog when I returned. But in the meantime, here are some highlights in no specific order....

Driving on the other side of the road is something else. I am sooo happy that I ordered the GPS with the car, otherwise I don't think I would've been able to leave Heathrow without going insane. Needless to say I was only honked at once as I was leaving Heathrow.

They don't have light beer over there. Here, if you sit down in any bar there are so many light beers to choose from. Over there, just real beer. It's good beer too. I had ale for the first time as well. I'm not a big ale fan. It tastes like stale flat beer. It must be an acquired taste. And everywhere I went it was ordered by the pint (or half pint). There was none of the 12, 16 or 20 ounce choice. Here's 2 pence, gimme a pint. It's straightforward. That's how ordering and drinking beer should be.

I tried to survey the people of England and see if they were fat like Americans. You know what? They are fat like us. I didn't see anyone that needed to use a wheelchair to get around, but there were obese folks there. The locals that I was working with said that England is more like the US when it comes to obesity, but the rest of Europe is not. So, we are infecting Europe 1 country at a time.

In the city I was in, I liked the fact that I didn't see restaurant chains. Oh, I saw the McDonald's, and Domino's and Burger King's, but for local food, everything was different. Every pub was different. They all had Fosters and Carling on tap and either a football (soccer) game was on or BBC was broadcasting. I liked the uniqueness of the pubs.

So I'll post on here the events of the days that I recorded.

Cheers mate!

No comments: