Sunday, November 2, 2008

tiling is...

...really darn hard. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you, this is a tedious, knee-hamstring-lower back killing, difficult project. Although Amanda's impressed reaction of delight was worth it.

It took me a little over 5 hours to get all the tiles laid out just the way I wanted, cut and dry fit. The hard part of it was the bathroom is upstairs and the wet saw is in the garage. One of my mistakes was just leaving the saw on the floor. So I'm up in the bathroom hunkered down on my knees making measurements, then into the garage on my knees cutting tile. Not good.

First piece of advice, mount the wet saw on a table top to save your knees.

Second piece of advice, buy the expensive knee pads. I went through saturday without any. This morning after church I went to Home Depot and bought a (relatively expensive) 15 dollar pair. They were worth every freaking penny. Every single one. Each one.

So here are all of the tiles laid out and dry fit.


Not much of a difference here in this next picture, but this after putting down the mortar and laying the tiles. What really boggles my mind is that I bought a gallon of pre-mixed mortar which says will cover 50-60 sq ft. Our bathroom is just a smidge over 30 sq ft. Somehow, I ran out of mortar. I don't really know how thick to put it on, but I thought it was going on rather thinly. I don't know, it must be because it's pre-mixed.

So this is now my biggest worry. I didn't get the gushy mortar effect that I was expecting to have, based on what I learned from my co-workers who have tiled. I'm just hoping it's this pre-mixed stuff that is causing this.

Anyway, I'll buy more tomorrow and see what happens.

No comments: