Wednesday, November 26, 2008

TSA and weightlifting

Did you hear that the TSA has a new method of screening for terrorists and other lawbreakers?
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20081118/1a_offlede18_dom.art.htm

I had read about this last week, but the article that I read didn't go into detail about what the new screening methods consist of. This morning while returning home from a work trip to Boston I think I may have experienced those new methods....

After receiving my ticket and proceeding to the line for the X-ray machines into the terminal at Boston Logan I got into line and waited to be screened. Up ahead next to the TSA agent who looks at your ticket and ID was another TSA agent that was chatting with nearly everyone in line. I make my way through the line and I try and avoid talking to the woman (I hate talking to strangers at airports) but she asks me in a friendly-getting-to-know-you way where I'm headed, how often I travel, if I'm from the area, if I'm looking forward to the holiday...blah blah.

I joked with my coworker that this was there new terrorist screening method. Which seemed funny at the time because she looked like she should be taking her grandkids to the zoo instead of screening for terrorists. Maybe this is their new method...deploy extra agents to chit chat with those in line and see who acts out of character. Or, was she just a bored TSA emploee. I wonder.....

I finally joined the 1000 pound club this afternoon. It's no official club, but it is when the sum of your squat, bench press and deadlift are equal to or greater than 1000 pounds. I had a squat of 385, bench press of 290 and a deadlift of 365 --totaling 1040 pounds.

The squat and deadlift are new personal bests for me. Just 5 more pounds on squats and that's all the weight I have to use! 390 is all I have!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: