Saturday, November 1, 2008

Master Bathroom Project Phase 2 part 1

My helper and I started on the tiling project for the master bathroom. Here is a before picture:


I first convinced my helper that he should sit in the pack and play for a little bit while I was moving all of our stuff to the other bathroom. He was content with that for a while, but wasn't having it when the fun started happening. The fun was the removal of the light fixture, toilet paper holder, towel racks, door, shower doors, wood trim and the toilet. I've never taken a toilet all of the way off. Tank yes, tank and bowl, no. Today's experience taught me that used wax rings are gross. Now our gross wax ring is in a plastic zip lock bag waiting to be taken to Home Depot to match up with a new one to replace it.

Now that my helper was free to roam around our bedroom, he decided now as a good time to try and fit between the headboard of our bed and the wall. Nope, he still doesn't fit. But it was a good photo opportunity. I took the picture too late, he squeezed out already.


I then managed to install the wonderboard while my helper played peek a boo with my tarp. It was a good use of his time. Wonderboard is concrete that is sandwiched between to two pieces of meshed screen like material. It is supposed to go down on top of the subfloor before you install tile to keep the floor from flexing over time and preventing the grout, mortar or tiles from cracking.


Ta da! Wonderboard installed. My helper can take as much credit as he would like. To be honest, Xander was pretty darn good all day long and let me get quite a bit of work done. I can't complain that he made me take too many breaks because I would have been breaking to eat any way, he just made it convenient for us both.


I just laid out the tile tonight before stopping and it looks pretty good. It is an almond color and should look good.

No comments: