Sunday, June 3, 2007

yard day

I was busy yesterday working on my farmer's tan.

I spent the morning unloading some free lumber from a co-workers demolished swing set. He bought a used one for his kids off this family that lived in a huge 1.2 million dollar home. The co-worker already had a swing set for his kids, but apparently it was rickety or something, so he hacked it up with a saw and piled the timbers in the yard. So I helped him transport and reassemble his new one, and I got his old one. That's really weird, my kid isn't even born yet and I've got a swing set for him (or so the dr says its a him) already. I didn't assemble it though. I grabbed it mainly for the free lumber which was in great condition. Treated lumber too. I took all of the hardware out of it and stacked it all up nicely in our shed.

It was strange though, the millionaire family that my co-worker bought the swing set from, the kids were maybe 6 years old, and the guy mentioned that his wife was pregnant. I just don't understand why they were getting rid of it. It certainly didn't fit in with the landscaping of the home.

Then I spent the afternoon trimming up some unruly bushes and started a compost pile behind the shed, since we don't have a refuse bin. It's a pretty huge pile of debris.

What's weird though is some of our neighbors. I guess that's one of those differences between apartment living and home living. I wasn't outside working for 10 minutes and the neighbor lady comes over with her toddler in tow and chews on my ear for 10 minutes or so. Then I get back to work and the DINKs (dual income no kids) across the street chat with me for about 15 - 20 minutes. All the neighbors are very nice, friendly and helpful. It's quite a difference from apartment living though.

So today, my arms are pretty sore so I'm milking it and trying to find the motivation to edge all the flower beds. I might just wuss out and unpack the last couple of boxes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the first child is going to be a masculine child!

Congratulations!

Sergey

Julie said...

Ah, I remember that new homeowner energy! Treasure it now, in about 7-8 years you'll wonder how you accomplished all that stuff...

-Rob (Julie has my computer signed in as her)