Monday, August 20, 2007

you know, that famous author guy

So remember a month ago when we went to the wedding in DC? Well, as it turns out the bride's mother's cousin is married to a famous author that Hugs and I (and only 3 other people I know) really like. This famous enough author is Robert Jordan.

We were really psyched about the wedding (definitely more excited about the opportunity to meet RJ than the wedding) and were hoping to chat with him (more like sit on his lap and let him tell us stories) at some point during the wedding weekend. However, RJ's has amyloidosis and that prevented him from attending. When we first heard about plans for the wedding, the couple was actually thinking of having it at his house. We would have died if it would have been there.

Despite all that we ended up chatting with the bride's cousin and we exchanged business cards and I emailed her about a week ago. I couldn't think of anything cool to say, so I wrote this in a lame email:
***************************
"I would just like to say that I really enjoy the Wot series and I am looking forward to Memory of Light.

Maybe something you'll find interesting is that I started reading the books because of the cover art. My girlfriend in college (now my wife) would bring the books over to my apartment to read because I had to study (she was in education, I was in engineering) and I was fascinated by them. I think the cover art is great, and that calendar that came out a few years back with all of the covers is awesome.

I've only read all the books once (the first 4 twice) but my favorite part in all the books is when Mat beats both Galad and Gawyn in the practice yard in the beginning of book 3, The Dragon Reborn.

I can't believe how blank my mind is that I can't think of anything else I'd like to say, but I really enjoy the world that you have created with the books and I very much enjoy them. Thanks.

Again, I wish you all the best with your health."
***************************

So there was my one opportunity to say something to someone famous and that's how I spent it.

I exchanged another email or two with the cousin of the bride and she asks for our mailing address. A few days later a letter arrived that was a print out of my email that had written in ink at the bottom "I like that particular fight myself. --Robert Jordan"

So that's pretty cool, huh? I think I'll try and get a color photo of the cover of The Dragon Reborn and put that in a frame with the signature. Something else to keep me busy this winter.




No comments: