Monday, April 2, 2007

Home inspection

We had our home inspection today. It went great.

Here is the backyard...



The back room. I think we are going to make this our study/den area. I think. I've never been at such a loss as to how to arrange our stuff in a room until now. It's Peanut that's messing everything up. Not in a bad way...I guess I'm just looking for a way to place things and keep them there for 15 years. I have to remind myself that it doesn't need to be that way.




The kitchen. It's no Cadbury, but it's darned fine if you ask me. The refrigerator dispenses ice and water. Oh, and in the foreground are our $250 counter-offer barstools. I didn't get to enjoy them much yet, but Amanda and her parents seem to approve of them.



And, we got our loan application in. We are happy with it, we can afford it and I don't think we got hosed by the bank. We didn't go through a mortgage broker, we ended up going through our bank and we feel really comfortable with it...and that's what matters.

Now, onto the things we need:
1. Lawnmower
2. Weedwacker
3. Push broom

Then the first question is, do I get a reel lawnmower or not? It seems like the right choice, but is it as simple as all the tree huggers say it is? We'll see. I'd like to get one just so I save my hearing for a few more years.

Then I guess I'd have to get an electric weed wacker too, instead of one that uses a combustion engine. Might as well be a full blown tree hugger and get the electric one so not wimp out. Or I could just get some sheep.

Speaking of sheep, Amanda will rant about the sheep border in this house we are trying to buy. But in the meantime, the pictures must suffice.

Oh, and I finally got a video of Min barking at the birds.



C

7 comments:

Rob said...

I'd only suggest the reel mower if the yard is FLAT. If it's bumpy the reel mower just doesn't seem to work well. At least that's my experience. But we had an old beat-up one, so maybe that's it. I went with a mulching mower, so I wouldn't have to rake or bag.

As for the weedwacker, all I can say is don't go with the kind that has the plastic string. It's an enormous pain to reload those, and I've tried several types. Maybe check some reviews online?

Oh, and for the noise, just buy some nice OSHA-approved earplugs, that's what I did.

One last thing, consider growing your grass as long as your community will allow - saves on how much you mow and actually cuts down on weeds.

Anonymous said...

Over 80% of electricity in Ohio is generated via coal. Mining and burning coal is much worse for the environment than using very nicely refined hydrocarbons in a combustion engine.

The Oil Industry.

Rob said...

Does anyone make a biodiesel lawnmower yet? You could fry up some onion rings and mow the lawn later with the oil!

chicks514 said...

Dude, that would be sweet! Except making onion rings at home stinks up the house.

Hugs and I did see a diesel VW Jetta on sunday that advertised that they were running their car on veggie oil to protest the Iraq war. I don't know how compatible veggie oil, bio-diesel and diesel fuel are, but apparently someone is making it work.

Anonymous said...

Biofuels are *not* the least bit environmently friendly:

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/02/2144205

The Oil Industry

chicks514 said...

Dear Oil Company,

You know your comments sound awfully self serving and propaganda-esque?

Never do you point out how somebody can make the environment a better place for our children. It's always what everyone else is doing wrong with their time/efforts/money and so on.

Chicks and Hugs

Anonymous said...

The Oil Industry's got their panties in a bunch it seems or maybe I'm wrong?

Not anywhere in the original post did I notice the originator mention anything written about his care for the environment but the oil industry must of assumed that is why the originator wants a reel hand push lawnmower because of quick persistant rebuttals. Maybe Chicks514 just wants it because it would simply be cheaper to maintain? Did The Oil Industry ask why?

Gimme some more of those nicely refined hydrocarbons.

Why do people always have some beef with the good old oil industry?

What's up with these crazies who are making alternative fuel vehicles and hybrids?

Surely they don't know the benefits of nicely refined hydrocarbons.

Better yet Rob and Chicks, make a biofuel lawnmower that fries onion rings as you mow your lawn. That would be sweet! Kill two birds with one stone.

Yours always,

Addict to the oil industry.