Tuesday, April 17, 2007

So I'm trying to do the best that I know how and do something good for the environment by getting a reel lawnmower. Less noise, no engine, no gas to buy, weights less, cuts better and so on. Of course there are faults to it, but at this point the rest of the world, although they've tried their best, still hasn't discouraged me, so I'm going to purposely avoid mentioning the faults (the Titanic could have used a good iceberg radar, pish posh, let's not focus on the negative!).

I mention this at work to a couple of co-workers how I am trying to single handedly start an environmental revolution one backyard with my desire to purchase a reel lawnmower. My boss mentions how his neighbor used to have one and if I sent my him an email he'd pass it along to his neighbor and see if he was willing to sell it.

So I send my boss the following email:
****
Boss,

In an effort to give my new neighbors something to laugh at, I'm looking for a cheap/used rEEL lawnmower. Talk to your neighbor for me, thanks.

C
****
My boss sends along my email, however he prefaces it with the following:
****
Neighbor,

C is this young engineer that I work with that is just starting out his career. He is married, has a kid on the way and is just about to close on his first house. As such, he is still young and naive about many things. One of which is the allure of using a reel lawnmower. We discussed this the other day and I mentioned how my neighbor once had similar feelings and went out and purchased a reel lawnmower. I mentioned that it might still be hanging up in his garage and he might be willing to sell it to a fellow purist. Do you still have that thing?
****
My boss's neighbor replies back with:
****
To be more accurate, they should market them as "Reel Inefficient Lawn Mowers". It may have been just the brand I bought, but I could never get it to cut well. It did flatten the grass very nicely, momentarily, while it passed over.

No, I don't have it any longer. I sold it to some glassy eyed young homeowner at a garage sale for $10.

He could probably pick one up at a garage sale if he's not in too big a hurry. They are the best places to go to buy stuff like shovels, rakes, original prints of the Declaration of Independence (usually tucked behind some mediocre painting with a gaudy frame).
****

So there you have it. Foiled on my first attempt.

I should ask what brand he purchased. If I remember correctly, I think I've seen one in my Grandma's barn, maybe she'll be willing to part with it? We'll see.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha!

That's good man. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying I know where one can be found...I'm just saying I know people who know people, and can likely get their hands on one for a reasonable price. Want me to get my people on it?

chicks514 said...

Yes, send out your feelers for me please. Thanks!

Rob said...

How about eBay?

Whatever brand and such, I think the key is to make sure the blades are razor-sharp. Literally. Like, learn how to file them and hone them. And do it every time you mow (honing every time, filing isn't nearly as frequent). Without the speed and suction you get with a gas mower, the reels will just push the grass down, as your boss's neighbor mentioned.