Thursday, May 1, 2008

Garden

The garden has been started! First we had to get rid of a few bushes that seemed to me to be a various random assortment of miscellaneous plants hodge podged together in the flower bed. Amazingly we convinced the in-laws that the various random assortment of miscellanea would go perfectly at their new house. They were convinced and came over last weekend and picked them up.

Prior to that, we were on vacation in Williamsburg and I got some new ideas for the garden. The first was to take two rows of treated 1x8's and use that as border to keep the rabbits out. The second was to use soft pine needles as border instead of buying mulch; or just leaving the dirt exposed. I just don't see the sense in buying mulch year after year. I just don't see the benefit. Lucky for us the previous homeowner put down expensive mulch so we don't have to. That leaves time for the ground cover we planted to take over so we don't have to buy mulch in the future! But anyway, the soft pine needles look really good around the veggie patch.



Ta da! In-laws also purchased some tomato plants for me for my upcoming birthday, so I planted those and an onion that was sprouting in our kitchen cabinet. The red tarp stuff came with the tomato plants and is some form of mulch. I was just going to chuck it, thinking that the 'roids that I planted the tomatos with was enough, but I got one of those "it's free why not use it (you big dummy!)??" looks from the wife, so I put it down.

I think this weekend we'll put in some sweet corn and zucchini.

No comments: