Saturday, September 15, 2007

Golden Boy is....

Golden Boy is dead. He is a total loss. I talked with the insurance adjuster yesterday and the estimate to fix him up was 6700 and they valued him at around 7200. The 500 dollar difference between actual market value and estimated cost of replacement isn't enough to warrant repair, so according to the insurance company, he is a total loss.

That is a definite bummer.

I could get a salvage title for it and take the check and have it fixed myself, but if I read the estimate correct there is frame damage. That doesn't improve my situation. Plus, if I got a salvage title for it, that would always detract from his re-saleability

So what do I do? Now surely isn't the time to be shopping around for a new car, not with Peanut about to hatch any day now. I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. I spent some time searching at autotrader.com for a vehicle friday afternoon and found some that I thought were worth a test drive.

As it ended up, I took one for a test drive last night after work and drove a couple more today and ended up buying a new (to me) truck. So much for a widow in mourning, huh?

It feels like such a rash decision, but I think we ended up with a good deal. I think this actually is a blessing in disguise, because with the amount of money the insurance company is offering for Golden Boy, we were able to buy something a bit bigger with room for Peanut. That is a big plus.

I won't write anymore about the new one until I post Golden Boy's eulogy.

2 comments:

Rob said...

RIP Golden Boy...

Are you going to "donate" Golden Boy's organs to other needy Rangers out there? Or recycle him in some other way?

chicks514 said...

I think the insurance company is just going to take him to a junk yard. I don't know what other options I have.