Sunday, September 2, 2007

furniture update

Here is an update on the furniture.

I finally finished the crib. Amanda's dad made some brackets for me to hold the spring base in place because the brackets that came with it didn't match. I think it turned out pretty good and everyone else thinks it's great, so I think I did okay. I should have replaced the screws too, so that they were all nice and shiney and all match, but I forgot. Maybe I'll remember next time I go to home depot to pick some up. Notice the I Love Peanut bumper sticker.


And here we have the current status of Peanut's dresser. It's completely sanded down and ready to be stained. I did make a home depot run and bought new handles and a trim piece for it because I didn't want to sand either of them down. The trim piece had too much detail for even Bob Vila to sand down, so I wasn't going to mess with it. The handles I would have had to sand by hand and they had a nice curve to them that I didn't want to attempt to wrangle.

The replaced trim piece is in my left hand. The replacement trim piece is attached and just under the tabletop. And I am covered in wood dust. Covered.



This dresser was built for me when I was a kid, and in the process of refinishing it for Peanut I've noticed the knots in the wood and the pattern it makes. It used to be more noticeable when I was a kid, but time faded it out. Now you can really see the knots especially in the top drawer. I think that's pretty darn cool.

Oh yea, we had our house warming party yesterday. I made a social faux pas and called it a house warming party, which implies you want people to bring you gifts. I didn't intend it to be that way, I just didn't know what house warming really meant and titled the email invitations as such. Anyway, thanks a whole lot to those of you who brought us gifts and thanks to everyone that came over and enjoyed themselves. We had lots of fun. And to those of you who cut out before dark you missed the smores!

No comments: