Sunday, February 11, 2007

Have you ever noticed how people have more "courage" when you don't speak face to face? Ever send a nasty-gram email or get lippy with a customer service representative because you feel more powerful when you don't have to look them in the eye? I guess I just finally realized how easily that happens in life because last week I was on the receiving end of a big ego over the telephone. Upon this realization I found it difficult to not break out in hysterical laughter listening to this person rant. He sounded so foolish. The blasphemy made it that much more hysterical.

So then I gave it a little more thought and realized I do the same thing too (at times). I've gotten lippy with the Sear's people over their inability to send our bill to the correct address; raised my voice at previous property managers over no heat, dripping radiators and no hot water (all the same apartment). So I'm just as guilty as the next guy. But I'm just curious if anybody else has realized this or done this themselves?

Coincidentally, I was thinking of some choice words to tell to our current property management over this past week over our frozen pipes. Last monday school was canceled for Hugs, and I not having to go into work until noon, didn't realize our shower pipes were frozen until 10am or so. Very disappointing. I've lived in colder parts of Ohio in cruddier apartments and have never had this happen. They brought a little heater over and directed the warm air through the access panel in our spare bedroom onto the pipes and eventually they thawed.

However, this frozen pipe issue reared it's ugly head again on friday night. Friday night at 10pmI was doing the dishes (as I'm sure all married couples are in their pj's by now doing similar activities) and was greeted with a stopped up sink. Chaos and flooding of the cabinet under the sink ensued. So we cleaned up and I called and left a nasty message on their machine. I'm not sure if I would have the stones to be so direct, rude and forceful eye to eye as I was over the phone. It didn't get me anywhere, because by noon saturday morning they had yet to call back. After a few phone calls were placed, we had the pleasure of a loaner electric heater which we placed under our sink facing the pipes. Around 4pm today they finally opened up.

Based on our recent adventures as tenants, we were very excited to meet with a real estate agent saturday night (yea, friday night I was doing the dishes and saturday night we met with a real estate agent. I like my metamucil shaken not stirred.) She came recommended to us so we initially trusted her. She continued to gain our trust because she didn't come across like a shark. I think we may end up sticking with her to act as our realator, we liked her. So we are back in the hunt again.

Okay, more to post on other topics....

C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless you work customer service most people don't realize how nasty they can get over the phone. Like you are supposed to be impressed when some jerk tells you he is the ceo of Alltel.