Thursday, February 22, 2007

I don't know what to do

I got out of work today at 5:15pm, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with the rest of my day. I'm not used to this free time. The wife is off playing with her ex-coworkers from The 'Nati, hence my suffering. The cats aren't any help either because they just sleep and that's not entertaining me.

I was hoping to use the bbq tonight to make my dinner, but there is still too much snow on our back porch to move the grill away from the building. Some previous tenant here didn't do that and melted some of the siding. I hope we don't get blamed for that.

This house issue...still set to meet with the realtor on saturday and sunday. Two days of visiting houses. That reminds me, I need to print off some house checklists. I made up this worksheet in excel to record specific characteristics of the houses we visit. I also made up another worksheet where I enter in the cost of the house, our downpayment amount, the yearly taxes and it computes the monthly cost of the house. Hugs and I were looking at houses online last week and I was making some minor modifications to it and she was about to blow a gasket. I couldn't believe that my wife doesn't have the ability to appreciate my ability to manipulate data in excel to aid in our house hunting adventure. I am so unappreciated in my time. She literally told me she was going to lose it if she had to watch me format one more cell. Geez! Her eyes almost rolled out of her head because she was so annoyed with me.

That's alright we made it through.

C

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hey, I don't know how happy you are with your current realtor, but we have a good friend who is a realtor in the big C and is really good at finding stuff that fits your personal tastes and respects things like budgets. Let us know if you want her contact info or if it's ok to give her yours and we'll set ya up! Have fun.

chicks514 said...

So far we are pretty happy with the lady we are talking with. She came recommended from a friend, so we feel comfortable with her. She just set up a search for us on the MLS website and we do all the looking ourselves.

That's what really confused me about all your trouble you've have with your searches. I wouldn't see a problem with contacting 4 different realtors in 4 different cities and telling them to set up a search for you within this price range, x number of bedrooms, garage, basement and so on. In my opinion that's what they are there for, to take the burden off of me.

But we'll stick with who we've got for now, but thanks for the recommendation!

Rob said...

I think our issue is that if we ask a realtor to help us, we feel indebted to them and would have to pay them for their services, via the 6% cut of whatever house we buy. I know technically we don't owe them anything for just searching (at least I think we wouldn't), but we're suckers like that. So we'd rather take the burden on ourselves. That's us.

By the way, Julie's done all our current house-hunting so far, but it seems to me that "gut feeling" is a better predicter for houses than a strict checklist. Our current house would fail every checklist you could imagine, yet at the time it felt like the right decision (7 years ago...), and really I think it was. We've made bad decisions since, but that's another story.